Information Security News mailing list archives

How to secure containers and microservices

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 11:13:18 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3029772/cloud-computing/how-to-secure-containers-and-microservices.html

By Jim Reno
InfoWorld.com
Feb 4, 2016

A few weeks ago on a Saturday morning I tried to pay a medical bill online and received the following message:

  Sorry! In order to serve you better, our website will be down for
  scheduled maintenance from Friday 6:00 PM to Sunday 6:00 PM.

OK, I get it. Stuff happens. However, the following week I was greeted with the same message. Two weekends in a row means 48 hours of downtime over two weeks. Even if that’s the only downtime for the year, that means an availability of 98.9 percent -- a rate that may be unacceptable for IT departments and many online businesses. I sensed legacy architecture.

Many successful businesses still use legacy architecture. After all, they were built on it. However, the inherent complexity of legacy servers leads to fewer releases with large amounts of content. This means more components and dependencies that cannot be individually upgraded. It’s this domino effect that forces many companies to still take down servers for extended maintenance (like the medical billing company I mentioned earlier).

Computer science has known the solution to the complexity problem for a long time: modularity. Design the system not as a small number of large complex parts, but as a large number of small, simple containerized applications. However, the larger number of smaller services means there are inevitably more pieces to manage. Where a legacy system might have had a dozen VMs, now it could have hundreds of software containers.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.