Information Security News mailing list archives

Compassion Fatigue in an industry largely devoid of compassion.

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 07:01:16 +0000 (UTC)

https://jerichoattrition.wordpress.com/2015/09/26/compassion-fatigue-in-an-industry-largely-devoid-of-compassion/

By jerichoattrition
Curmudgeonly Ways
September 26, 2015

A few days ago, Bruce Schneier actually wrote a slightly interesting piece for Fusion. I say that with surprise because most of his articles are engaging and well-written, but he rarely shares new ideas or concepts. Most of my professional circle is already very familiar with a given topic, and Schneier largely enjoys a reputation for his insight because he has a considerable following and they read about it there first. In this case, it wasn’t so much that Schneier’s piece was new information (he did quote and cite a 1989 reference on the topic that was new to me), it was that he flirted with a much more interesting topic that is somewhat aligned with his point.

In ‘Living in Code Yellow’, Schneier quotes a handgun expert who described a specific mind-set. From his article:

  In 1989, handgun expert Jeff Cooper invented something called the Color
  Code to describe what he called the “combat mind-set.” Here is his
  summary:
  [..]
  In Yellow you bring yourself to the understanding that your life may be
  in danger and that you may have to do something about it.

Reading on, Schneier brings up the psychological toll that such a mindset can have, and that concept should not be new to anyone that has been in InfoSec for a few years.

  Cooper talked about remaining in Code Yellow over time, but he didn’t
  write about its psychological toll. It’s significant. Our brains can’t
  be on that alert level constantly. We need downtime.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.