Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers gain entry to 10 million Excellus insurance records

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:00:06 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/hackers-gain-entry-to-10-million-excellus-insurance-records/

By John Fontana
Identity Matters
ZDNet News
September 10, 2015

Hackers infiltrated the systems of Excellus BlueCross Blue Shield gaining access to some 10 million healthcare records some of which included medical history, the company announced Wednesday.

The Rochester, N.Y.-based insurer said the breach began nearly two years ago and was first discovered last month. The company said it has not determined if data was actually taken off its servers, but the hackers did have access to records that included personal information such as birth dates, Social Security numbers and addresses along with claims and payment information.

"The investigation has not determined that any such data was removed from our systems," Excellus CEO Christopher Booth said in a memo on the company's website. "We also have no evidence to date that such data has been used inappropriately."

As in many recent breaches across vertical industry, the company issued a statement classifying the breach as "a very sophisticated cyberattack." In addition, the breach fits recent profiles that show hackers are spending multiple years weaving their way through computer systems.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.