Information Security News mailing list archives

Report Warns of Chinese Hacking

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 08:31:35 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.wsj.com/articles/report-warns-of-chinese-hacking-1445227440

By DANNY YADRON
The Wall Street Journal
Oct. 19, 2015

A U.S. cybersecurity company says it has evidence hackers linked to the Chinese government may have tried to violate a recent agreement between Washington and Beijing not to hack private firms in each other’s country for economic gain.

The firm, CrowdStrike Inc., plans to announce Monday that unnamed customers in the technology and pharmaceutical industries have faced attempted—though unsuccessful—intrusions from China-linked hackers. Two incidents took place the day before and the day after President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Sept. 25 they reached an “understanding” not to use cyberspies to commit economic espionage against each other, according to CrowdStrike.

The Chinese embassy in Washington didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

“We are aware of this report. We’ll decline comment on its specific conclusions,” said a senior Obama administration official. “We have and will continue to directly raise our concerns regarding cybersecurity with the Chinese.”

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.