Information Security News mailing list archives

Coast Guard Needs Better PHI Security, Says OIG Report

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 12:06:49 +0000 (UTC)

http://healthitsecurity.com/news/coast-guard-needs-better-phi-security-says-oig-report

By Elizabeth Snell
Health IT Secutity
May 21, 2015

The US Coast Guard (USCG) must do a better job in its PHI security measures, according to a recent report from the Office of the Inspector General (OIG).

Specifically, USCG lacks a strong organizational approach to resolving privacy issues, the report stated, which leads to the agency having challenges when it comes to effectively protecting PHI.

“We evaluated the safeguards for sensitive personally identifiable information and protected health information (privacy data) maintained by USCG,” OIG explained in its report. “Our objectives were to determine whether the USCG’s plans and activities instill a culture of privacy and whether the USCG ensures compliance with the Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, [HIPAA], and other privacy and security laws and regulations.”

OIG outlined five areas that USCG needs to resolve in order to improve its PHI security:

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.