Information Security News mailing list archives

GoDaddy accounts vulnerable to social engineering and Photoshop

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:00:10 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.csoonline.com/article/2898128/disaster-recovery/godaddy-accounts-vulnerable-to-social-engineering-and-photoshop.html

By Steve Ragan
CSO
March 19, 2015

On Tuesday, my personal account at GoDaddy was compromised. I knew it was coming, but considering the layered account protections used by the world's largest domain registrar, I didn't think my attacker would be successful.

I was wrong. He was able to gain control over my account within days, and all he needed to do was speak to customer support and submit a Photoshopped ID.

GoDaddy serves more than 13 million customers, who in turn place 59 million domains under the registrar's management. They have thousands of employees working across the globe who help staff the support and operations teams twenty-four hours a day.

Sometimes, customers forget their account number or password; perhaps they forget what email they've used to register a domain. In either case, GoDaddy's support staff are there to assist.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.