Information Security News mailing list archives

CIA Restructuring Adds New Cyber Focus

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 08:23:07 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2015/03/cia-restructuring-adds-new-cyber-focus/106953/

By Patrick Tucker
defenseone.com
March 6, 2015

The CIA will create a new directorate designed to boost the agency’s ability to collect and use digital intelligence in operations, agency CIA Director John Brennan announced. The move to launch a “directorate of digital innovation” comes a two weeks after the Washington Post first reported that Brennan would be restructuring the agency to place a much stronger emphasis on the use of computers and electronic intelligence.

The move is a big change for the agency, one that reflects a fundamental evolution in intelligence gathering. CIA traditionally has been tasked with collecting information from human sources (also called HUMINT). The NSA, conversely, is tasked with collecting information from electric sources in the form of signals (also called SIGINT). Today’s announcement is a formal recognition that the electronic world is overtaking the human one, and that collecting information from humans now has a digital component to it.

“Digital technology holds great promise for mission excellence, while posing serious threats to the security of our operations and information,” Brennan said, in message to the Intelligence Community, released Friday. “We must place our activities and operations in the digital domain at the very center of all our mission endeavors.” Brennan said a new senior position will “oversee the acceleration of digital and cyber integration across all of our mission areas.”

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.