Information Security News mailing list archives

Heartland issues breach notification letters after computer theft

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 09:00:02 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.csoonline.com/article/2928928/disaster-recovery/heartland-issues-breach-notification-letters-after-computer-theft.html

By Steve Ragan
Salted Hash
CSO Online
June 1, 2015

In a letter to the California Attorney General, Heartland Payment Systems has disclosed a data breach impacting personal information. The letter states that the data exposure is the result of a break-in at one of their offices, which included stolen computers.

The notification letter says that the theft took place at Heartland's Santa Ana, California offices on May 8. The incident involved the theft of many items including password protected computers that might have contained Social Security Numbers and / or banking information that is processed by employers.

"We have seen no evidence suggesting that the data has been accessed on the stolen computers or used in any way, and we have no reason to believe any such use will occur. We have involved state and federal regulatory and law enforcement agencies to assist us in determining how to proceed with the matter at hand," the notification letter states.

In 2008 Heartland was the victim of one of the world's first major data breaches that exposed 130 million U.S. credit and debit cards.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.