Information Security News mailing list archives

Attack on Lithuanian army's website plotted for two weeks

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 16:21:46 +0000 (UTC)

http://en.delfi.lt/lithuania/defence/attack-on-lithuanian-armys-website-plotted-for-two-weeks.d?id=68228302

BNS
June 12, 2015

The Wednesday's cyber attack on the website of the Lithuanian Armed Forces Joint Staff was plotted for at least two weeks, with requests sent from Iran, among other countries, says Rimantas Černiauskas, director of the National Cyber Security Centre.

"We see large amounts of interesting information. We see that there were continued various pings, for instance, there was an attempt from Iran to guess the password. We see that the server hosting the website was constantly checked by hackers, with attempts to enter it, most of the attempts were not successful," said the expert.

In his words, the final conclusions on the hacking should be submitted to the Armed Forces by the end of office hours on Friday – additional information has now been requested from the company managing the website content.

Černiauskas confirmed that special robots had been checking the weak spots of the system on a daily basis, i.e., at least two or three times a day, attempting to guess the passwords and find system gaps, the attack was conducted by specific individuals.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.