Information Security News mailing list archives

Encryption Hinders Investigations: FBI Chief

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 08:26:04 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.informationweek.com/mobile/mobile-devices/encryption-hinders-investigations-fbi-chief/d/d-id/1321231

By Thomas Claburn
Informationweek.com
July 8, 2015

FBI Director James Comey appeared before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday to argue for legal support to weaken strong encryption, which he claims obstructs criminal investigations.

The title of the hearing, "Going Dark: Encryption, Technology, and the Balance Between Public Safety and Privacy," borrows Comey's characterization of encryption as way to conceal evidence of criminal acts.

"We are seeing more and more cases where we believe significant evidence resides on a phone, a tablet, or a laptop—evidence that may be the difference between an offender being convicted or acquitted," said Comey and Sally Quillian Yates, US Deputy Attorney General, in joint prepared remarks. "If we cannot access this evidence, it will have ongoing, significant impacts on our ability to identify, stop, and prosecute these offenders."

The concerns of Comey and Yates were echoed by Cyrus Vance Jr., District Attorney for New York County, who complained about the device encryption deployed by Apple and Google last fall.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.