Information Security News mailing list archives

Credit Card Breach at a Zoo Near You

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 07:02:34 +0000 (UTC)

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/07/credit-card-breach-at-a-zoo-near-you/

By Brian Krebs
Krebs on Security
July 9, 2015

Service Systems Associates, a company that serves gift shops and eateries at zoos and cultural centers across the United States, has acknowledged a breach of its credit and debit card processing systems.

Several banking industry sources told KrebsOnSecurity they have detected a pattern of fraud on cards that were all used at zoo gift shops operated by Denver-basd SSA. On Wednesday morning, CBS Detroit moved a story citing zoo officials there saying the SSA was investigating a breach involving point-of-sale malware.

Contacted about the findings, SSA confirmed that it was the victim of a data security breach.

“The violation occurred in the point of sale systems located in the gift shops of several of our clients,” the company said in a written statement. “This means that if a guest used a credit or debit card in the gift shop at one of our partner facilities between March 23 and June 25, 2015, the information on that card may have been compromised.”

[...]
--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.