Information Security News mailing list archives

Guardians of the Peace-themed prank against CNN leads Tennessee man to spend holiday with the FBI

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 16:31:49 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/u-s-world/guardians-of-the-peace-themed-prank-against-cnn-leads-tennessee-man-to-spend-holiday-with-the-fbi

By Jamie Satterfield
7News Denver
Jan 2, 2015

Knoxville, Tenn. - A Tennessee man’s Internet jab at what he says is an unquestioning media put him in the national spotlight and, on Thursday, the cross hairs of the FBI.

Freelance writer and Web designer David Garrett Jr. began his New Year’s Day at the Knoxville headquarters of the FBI, where two agents questioned whether he was a hacker involved with the Guardians of the Peace, a group claiming responsibility for the recent hacking of Sony.

“I’m pretty smart, but I’m not a hacker,” Garrett told the News Sentinel after his visit with the FBI.

The FBI confirmed earlier Thursday a planned interview with Garrett, and the News Sentinel was at the agency’s facility in West Knoxville when Garrett was escorted into the building and when he exited an hour later. However, the agency did not respond to a request for comment.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.