Information Security News mailing list archives

Some hackers are unknowingly gathering intel for the NSA

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2015 14:51:32 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/565624/some-hackers-unknowingly-gathering-intel-nsa/

By Lucian Constantin
IDG News Service

The U.S. National Security Agency and its intelligence partners are reportedly sifting through data stolen by state-sponsored and freelance hackers on a regular basis in search of valuable information.

Despite constantly warning about the threat of hackers and pushing for their prosecution, the intelligence agencies of the U.S., Canada and the U.K. are happy to ride their coattails when it serves their interests, news website The Intercept reported Wednesday.

"Hackers are stealing the emails of some of our targets... by collecting the hackers' 'take' we 1) get access to the emails ourselves and 2) get insights into who's being hacked," a page from an internal wiki used by the agencies reads. The page, last modified in 2012, was among the files leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden to journalists and was published by The Intercept.

One such cache of stolen data is known internally to the Five Eyes alliance -- the intelligence agencies of the U.S., Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand -- under the code name INTOLERANT.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.