Information Security News mailing list archives

Here’s what Ashley Madison members have told me

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 09:28:10 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.troyhunt.com/2015/08/heres-what-ashley-madison-members-have.html

Monday, 24 August 2015

I found myself in somewhat of a unique position last week: I’d made the Ashley Madison data searchable for verified subscribers of Have I been pwned? (HIBP) [1] and now – perhaps unsurprisingly in retrospect – I was being inundated with email. I mean hundreds of emails every day with people asking questions about the data. Not just asking questions, but often giving me their life stories as well.

These stories shed a very interesting light on the incident, one that most people are not privy to and one that doesn’t come across in the sensationalist news stories which have flooded every media outlet in recent days. When sent to me as an unknown third party in a (usually) foreign location, people tended to be especially candid and share stories that really illustrate the human impact of this incident. I thought I’d share some of those here – de-identified of course – to help people understand the real world impact of this incident and ’for those caught up in it to realise that they’re among many others going through the same pain.

I responded to every legitimate email I received. Very early on I wrote up a Q&A and the following is the canned response I sent in response to almost every query:

  My apologies for not being able to respond to you personally, I'm
  addressing questions of this nature via a Q&A you can find here:
  http://www.troyhunt.com/2015/08/ashley-madison-data-breach-q.html

Here’s what Ashley Madison members have told me:

[1] https://haveibeenpwned.com/

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.