Information Security News mailing list archives

NSA veteran chief fears crippling cyber-attack on Western energy infrastructure

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 16:01:50 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11563746/NSA-veteran-chief-fears-crippling-cyber-attack-on-Western-energy-infrastructure.html

By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
Houston
Telegraph.co.uk

The West is losing the worldwide fight against jihadist terrorism and faces mounting risks of a systemic cyber-assault by extremely capable enemies, the former chief of the National Security Agency has warned.

"The greatest risk is a catastrophic attack on the energy infrastructure. We are not prepared for that," said General Keith Alexander, who has led the US battle against cyber-threats for much of the last decade.

Gen Alexander said the "doomsday" scenario for the West is a hi-tech blitz on refineries, power stations, and the electric grid, perhaps accompanied by a paralysing blow to the payments nexus of the major banks.

"We need something like an integrated air-defence system for the whole energy sector," he said, speaking at a private dinner held by IHS CERAWeek in Texas.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.