Information Security News mailing list archives

I-Team: FAA warned about possible air traffic sabotage years ago

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 05:41:44 +0000 (UTC)

http://abc7chicago.com/travel/i-team-faa-warned-about-possible-air-traffic-sabotage-years-ago/328112/

By Ben Bradley
WLS
September 28, 2014

AURORA, Ill. (WLS) -- The ABC7 Eyewitness News I-Team has learned that red flags were raised years ago about how sabotage or terrorism could lead to the air travel mess triggered by one man.

There is word Sunday night that it will be more than two weeks before the FAA facility in Aurora is operating normally again.

The I-Team has learned that "years" before 9/11, and 16 years before Friday's sabotage, government investigators warned the FAA about crippling consequences similar to what we're seeing now.

The air traffic controllers union says this shutdown is one of the most challenging situations faced by controllers and the FAA since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

A disgruntled worker with access and opportunity brought air traffic control to a standstill in Chicago.

The head of the FAA told Illinois' senior senator in a phone call Sunday that the private contractor destroyed 23 of 29 control racks. Radar lines were cut. Computers set ablaze. The damage from the sabotage and subsequent firefighting effort - so severe the FAA is forced to rebuild its infrastructure in separate section of the Aurora air traffic control center.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.