Information Security News mailing list archives

How To Become A CISO, Part 1

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:29:18 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.darkreading.com/how-to-become-a-ciso-part-1/d/d-id/1316749

By Sara Peters
Dark Reading
October 20, 2014

Think you're ready for the top job? Here's part 1 of a series to help you land that prime chief information security officer position.

So you want to be a CISO, huh? Think you're ready to lead a small band of white knights into battle against a countless, hidden enemy? Ready to play both savior and scapegoat, depending on what the day brings? Ready to beg, borrow, and steal for the resources you need to protect your company?

Yes? OK, then, you're ready to do the job... but can you get the job? For the next several weeks, we're dedicating Mondays to helping you find the path to the big job, which won't be easy to define.

"There's not a standard path [to the CISO job] like so many other professions," says Mark Aiello, president of the Boston cyber security staffing firm Cyber360 Solutions. "We can't even agree on how to spell cyber security." (Cybersecurity? Cyber-security?)

Even the words "engineer" and "administrator" don't mean the same thing from company to company. The bad news, then, is that it is hard to know what career steps to take next.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.