Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers claim they have stolen nearly 7 million Dropbox passwords (updated)

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:39:55 +0000 (UTC)

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/13/apparent-hackers-claim-they-have-stolen-nearly-7-million-dropbox-passwords/

By Dylan Tweney
venturebeat.com
October 13, 2014

Hundreds of alleged usernames and passwords for Dropbox have been published on Pastebin, an anonymous information-sharing site.

The apparent hackers claim to have nabbed 6,937,081 passwords and today published a “teaser” of 400 username-password pairs. They requested donations in Bitcoin and promised to release more passwords based on how much of the virtual currency they receive. The usernames appeared in alphabetical order starting with benitacran () btinternet com and ending with bigjoetownsend () hotmail com.

Dropbox, however, says the hack is bogus. The company offered VentureBeat this response to our inquiry:

  Dropbox has not been hacked. These usernames and passwords were
  unfortunately stolen from other services and used in attempts to log in
  to Dropbox accounts. We’d previously detected these attacks and the vast
  majority of the passwords posted have been expired for some time now.
  All other remaining passwords have been expired as well.

Subsequently, two more “teasers” appeared on Pastebin.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.