Information Security News mailing list archives

House Intel Chief Wants To Increase Cyber Attacks Against Russia

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:43:37 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.defenseone.com/politics/2014/10/house-intel-chief-wants-increase-cyber-attacks-against-russia/95675/

By Patrick Tucker
defenseone.com
October 2, 2014

The United States should be conducting more disruptive cyber attacks against nations like Russia, according to Rep. Mike Rogers, R-Mich., chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

“I don’t think we are using all of our cyber-capability to disrupt” actors in Russia targeting U.S. interests, he said at The Washington Post’s cybersecurity summit on Thursday.

Rogers cited attacks out of Russia on the U.S. financial sector, specifically against JP Morgan Chase in August, as an example of nation states targeting U.S. companies and financial interests. The FBI is currently investigating whether or not the attacks were a response to the financial sanctions that the United States placed on Russia in March.

He didn’t directly implicate Putin’s government in the attack on JP Morgan Chase, but he called the attempted breaches a “decision [made] on the basis of sanctions,” and asked whether the intent was “to monitor transactions or go in destroy enough data to cause harm to transactions?”

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.