Information Security News mailing list archives

For Guccifer, Hacking Was Easy. Prison Is Hard.

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 08:05:53 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/11/world/europe/for-guccifer-hacking-was-easy-prison-is-hard-.html

By ANDREW HIGGINS
The New York Times
NOV. 10, 2014

ARAD, Romania — He reveled in tormenting members of the Bush family, Colin L. Powell and a host of other prominent Americans, and also in outfoxing the F.B.I. and the Secret Service, foiling their efforts to discover even his nationality, never mind his identity. Early this year, however, the elusive online outlaw known as Guccifer lost his cocky composure and began to panic.

He smashed his hard drive and cellphone with an ax.

That spasm of precautionary destruction, at his home in Romania’s rural Transylvania region, did not help him much — especially as he left pieces of what would later become evidence scattered in the mud.

Two weeks later, on Jan. 22, a global hunt for the celebrated and mysterious hacker who first revealed self-portraits painted by George W. Bush and plundered a trove of personal emails from politicians, military officers and celebrities finally ended in an early morning raid of his home.

“I was expecting them, but the shock was still very big for me,” the hacker, now serving a seven-year sentence, said. He spoke in an interview, his first, at the Arad Penitentiary here. “It is hard to be a hacker, but even harder to erase your tracks.”

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.