Information Security News mailing list archives

Obama Administration Denies 'Abandoning the Internet'

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 06:51:20 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.nextgov.com/cio-briefing/2014/03/obama-administration-denies-abandoning-internet/80881/

By Brendan Sasso
National Journal
March 19, 2014

A top Commerce Department official pushed back Wednesday against concerns that the Obama administration is opening the door to an Internet takeover by Russia, China, and other authoritarian regimes.

The fears stem from the Commerce Department's announcement last Friday that it plans to give the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, an international nonprofit group, control over the technical system that allows computers to connect to Web addresses.

"Our announcement has led to some misunderstanding about our plan, with some individuals raising concern that the U.S. government is abandoning the Internet. Nothing could be further from the truth," Lawrence Strickling, the assistant Commerce secretary for communications and information, said in a statement. "This announcement in no way diminishes our commitment to preserving the Internet as an engine for economic growth and innovation."

He said the U.S. government will continue to push ICANN to adopt polices that are in the interest of the United States and an open Internet.

[...]

--
Find the best IT Security talent without breaking your recruiting budget.
Jobs cross-posted to Simply Hired, Facebook and LinkedIn.