Information Security News mailing list archives

Bad news for 169K after new HIPAA breach

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 05:58:00 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/bad-news-169k-after-new-hipaa-breach

By Erin McCann
Associate Editor
Healthcare IT News
March 7, 2014

Some 168,500 people are getting HIPAA breach notification letters after unencrypted computers were stolen from the Los Angeles County public health and health services departments, city officials announced Thursday.

According to a public notice, third-party billing vendor Sutherland Healthcare Solutions reported a burglary Feb. 5 involving the theft of several unencrypted company computers.

Officials confirmed the computers contained patient Social Security numbers, demographic data, billing information, dates of birth and protected health information, including medical diagnoses.

"We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern that this matter may have caused you," said Karen J. Pugh, vice president and head of healthcare compliance, at Sutherland Global Services, in a March 6 statement. "We are reviewing our policies and procedures and have provided additional training to our workforce. Los Angeles County is also working with us to review our information privacy and security program and determine whether enhancements should be made."

[...]

--
Find the best IT Security talent without breaking your recruiting budget.
Jobs cross-posted to Simply Hired, Facebook and LinkedIn.