Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers hijack 300, 000 SOHO routers with man-in-the-middle attacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 12:39:55 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2331953/hackers-hijack-300-000-soho-routers-with-man-in-the-middle-attacks

By Alastair Stevenson
V3.co.uk

Researchers at the security firm Team Cymru have traced a campaign that has successfully compromised 300,000 small office and home office (SOHO) routers using man-in-the-middle attacks to two UK IP addresses.

The research team reported the campaign in its SOHO Pharming white paper, confirming that the majority of the victims were in Europe and Asia.

"In January 2014, Team Cymru's Enterprise Intelligence Services began investigating a SOHO pharming campaign that had overwritten router DNS [domain name system] settings in central Europe," the paper noted.

"To date, we have identified 300,000 devices, predominantly in Europe and Asia, which we believe have been compromised as part of this campaign, one of which dates back to at least mid-December 2013."

[...]

--
Find the best IT Security talent without breaking your recruiting budget.
Jobs cross-posted to Simply Hired, Facebook and LinkedIn.