Information Security News mailing list archives

FIC 2014: French defence minister calls for unified front against cyber crime

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 08:32:39 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.itproportal.com/2014/01/22/fic-2014-french-defence-minister-calls-unified-front-against-cyber-crime/

By Paul Cooper
ITPro Portal

Jean-Yves Le Drian, the French Minister for Defence, has called for an international response to cybercrime, and announced the beginning of a €1 billion programme over a number of years to prepare France against the emerging threat of cyber war.

Le Drian spoke of the need to collaborate with European allies on creating a unified front against cyber crime. He also spoke about the need for France to follow Britain's example in developing a cyber defence force to protect France against emerging threats, and to develop the skills necessary to bolster national cyber defence.

"By the end of the programme, we will be dealing with even more threats, but thanks to the determined effort of the programme we will be prepared," Le Drian said towards the end of his keynote at the International Forum for Cybersecurity (FIC) in Lille.

"The area of cyber security, which used to be the domain of a niche and privileged few, is now a matter of all of us," Le Drian said.

"I congratulate all people who are to be involved in this project, for which €1 billion will be spent," he added.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/