Information Security News mailing list archives

UMD security breach exposes personal info of students, faculty, staff

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 07:21:42 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/02/umd-cyber-attack-exposes-personal-info-of-students-faculty-staff-100387.html

By Roz Plater
WJLA.com
February 19, 2014

(WJLA) - The University of Maryland says it had just recently doubled its number of IT security engineers, analysts, and security tools. But still, hackers somehow managed to carry out a sophisticated attack early Tuesday morning.

"It's scary," says student Ricky Bailey. "I just got the email about an hour ago, and I don't think people realize how serious it is just yet." In a letter sent on Wednesday evening, President Wallace Loh said that the

database that was breached contained more than 300,000 records of faculty, staff, students, and affiliated personnel from the College Park and Shady Grove campuses since 1998.

Those records include name, social security number, date of birth, and university ID number.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/