Information Security News mailing list archives

Serbian Police Probe Mass Data Theft Claim

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:35:02 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/serbian-police-investigates-allegedly-largest-data-theft

Balkan Insight
12 DEC 14

Police are investigating claims by a group of hackers that they have got hold of data on everyone in the country.

“We have whole Serbia in our hands. We have almost all information about Serbian citizens, starting from their ID numbers to information on what they do, where they live and what are their phone numbers,” the hackers wrote in an email sent to the media on Thursday.

Along with this alarming message, they have attached sheets with part of the data they claim to have stolen from state databases.

The police department for cyber crime said the allegedly stolen data did not come from the police database, however.

“Police are... investigating whether the hackers have stolen the data from some other state institution, or from a database made by collecting citizens' data during a survey,” the police told Serbia's Tanjug news agency.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.