Information Security News mailing list archives

Identifying and mitigating healthcare IT security risks

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:50:09 +0000 (UTC)

http://healthitsecurity.com/2014/08/19/identifying-and-mitigating-healthcare-it-security-risks/

By Patrick Ouellette
Health IT Security
August 19, 2014

Being proactive in healthcare IT security means picking out risks before incidents occur, not after the fact. But the challenge is that potential risks are spread across a variety of areas within a healthcare organization. Blair Smith, Ph.D. Dean, Informatics-Management-Technology (IMT) at American Sentinel University, spoke with HealthITSecurity.com about security considerations for healthcare organizations.

Smith was a professional IT consultant for a number of years and for the last 15 years was with the University of Phoenix, including the last five as the Dean of Information Systems prior to joining American Sentinel. With heavy experience in disaster recovery planning and said he always considered security a heavy risk area.

What are some major security risks within healthcare at the moment?

When I look at IT security for healthcare organizations, it’s not that much different from what many other retail or manufacturing organizations in that it’s a prominent topic. The key is to understand and identify areas of risk and potential exposure, and it’s where the HIPAA rules for risk assessment become very important. BYOD, for example, has its risks and benefits but from an industry perspective, the access to data housed [on the device] would be a concern.

Similarly, cloud security opens another external pathway for data to possibly be exposed to a number of different risks such as inappropriate data access and loss. As we use more mobile devices, whether it’s a smart phone or tablet, those types of things really present a wide range of issues for security personnel. And what we’re seeing today is more hackers and outside threats bringing exposure and risks to organizations. For example, there’s the subject of single sign on (SSO) and how to have effective security controls while maintaining convenience. The idea is to move beyond prevention security to proactive response technology. How do we quickly mitigate and take care of any exposures.

[...]

--
Evident.io - Continuous Cloud Security for AWS.
Identify and mitigate risks in 5 minutes or less.