Information Security News mailing list archives

States: Spike in Tax Fraud Against Doctors

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 08:33:11 +0000 (UTC)

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/04/states-spike-in-tax-fraud-against-doctors/

By Brian Krebs
Krebs on Security
April 22, 2014

An unusual number of physicians in several U.S. states are just finding out that they’ve been victimized by tax return fraud this year, KrebsOnSecurity has learned. An apparent spike in tax fraud cases against medical professionals is fueling speculation that the crimes may have been prompted by a data breach at some type of national organization that certifies or provides credentials for physicians.

Scott Colby, executive vice president of the New Hampshire Medical Society, said he started hearing from physicians in his state about a week ago, when doctors who were just filing their tax returns began receiving notices from the Internal Revenue Service that someone had already filed their taxes and claimed a large refund.

So far, Colby has heard from 111 doctors, physician assistants and nurse practitioners in New Hampshire who have been victims of tax fraud this year.

“I’ve been here four years and this is the first time this issue has come across my desk,” Colby said.

[...]

--
Subscribe to InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/subscribe-to-infosec-news/