Information Security News mailing list archives

This is the children's book that the president of Estonia made his staff read

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 07:38:01 +0000 (UTC)

http://qz.com/125673/frustrated-geek-explains-what-he-does-in-a-childrens-book/

[ http://www.amazon.com/SCADA-Me-Book-Children-Management/dp/149127512X/infosecnews-20  -- WK]

By Leo Mirani
Quartz.com
September 18, 2013

Robert M. Lee is an expert on a topic few people have heard of and even fewer understand: supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA). It refers to systems that control nuclear power plants, satellites, water filtration systems, the power grid, that sort of thing.

Yet it is so complicated that even the people who run these systems don't always fully comprehend them. So Lee decided to help us all out by writing an illustrated, easy-to-read children’s book, "SCADA and Me: A Book for Children and Management."

Illustrated by Jeff Haas and published by IT Harvest Press, "SCADA and Me" tells the story of Little Bobby, who has been asked to protect SCADA but doesn’t know what it is, and his friend Matt, who gives him a guided tour of systems that use SCADA. It is by turns informative and sarcastic, and actually easy to understand.

It started when "I briefed a team that should have known better," Lee told Quartz on the phone from Germany, where he is based. "They came to me [afterwards] and said let us know when you have a non-technical version because we didn't understand." Lee's talk was the non-technical version. He returned home dispirited and wrote the book as a way of venting his frustration. It was, he admits, "a bit immature of myself."

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.