Information Security News mailing list archives

Jake Davis, aka LulzSec's 'Topiary', on how the group formed - and broke up

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 08:32:33 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/09/jake-davis-topiary-lulzsec-answers

By Charles Arthur
theguardian.com
September 9, 2013

Jake Davis, who as "Topiary" in the hacking crew LulzSec was involved in breakins to a number of websites culminating in a hack of the Sun's news site - and subsequently sentenced to serve time in a young offenders' institution - says his intention was only to prompt debate about how marketing and mass use had overtaken internet security.

In a series of answers on the Ask.fm website, Davis has been responding to questions from users about his involvement with the notorious group, whose members received sentences varying from community service to a number of years in prison. ("Sabu", the New York-based Hector Xavier Monsegur, who acted as a ringleader for the group, has had his sentencing adjourned twice since January, as he is still believed to be acting as a witness for the FBI in a number of cases.)

Davis's responses are often laden with irony, sarcasm and wild invention, as befits someone who ran the social side - particularly the Twitter account - of LulzSec, which still has more than 330,000 followers but to which he says he no longer has access. He is also banned from using virtual machines, leaving the UK, or associating with former members of LulzSec until they have served their sentences.

Origins and purpose of LulzSec

Asked about the group's origins, Davis says: "I thought the idea of Anonymous at the time was the right idea and always saw LulzSec as a sort of pretty little firework that could sprinkle into nothing so that we could start focusing on the real issues, like the freedom of journalists, drone strikes, censorship, spying, etc., but that's not how the third party cookie crumbles. It's a strange one to answer in terms of the "difference" between the two "groups", it's all just separate tabs in the same window, if you can picture the concept. I just want accountability for the real shadowy criminals such as those at the NSA right now. Thankfully now we seem to be paying attention to people like Glenn Greenwald at a mainstream level and there's no need to wave the top hat and monocle [the symbol used for LulzSec's Twitter account and other communications] around any more."

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.