Information Security News mailing list archives

Russia 'spied on G20 leaders with USB sticks'

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 06:41:16 +0000 (UTC)

Forwarded from: Robert McLaughlin <astcell (at) gmail.com>

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/10411473/Russia-spied-on-G20-leaders-with-USB-sticks.html

By Nick Squires, Rome
Bruno Waterfield in Brussels
and Peter Dominiczak
Telegraph.co.uk

Russia spied on foreign powers at last month’s G20 summit by giving delegations USB pen drives capable of downloading sensitive information from laptops, it was claimed today.

The devices were given to foreign delegates, including heads of state, at the summit near St Petersburg, according to reports in two Italian newspapers, La Stampa and Corriere della Sera.

Downing Street said David Cameron was not given one of the USB sticks said to have contained a Trojan horse programme, but did not rule out the possibility that officials in the British delegation had received them.

The Prime Minister's official spokesman said: "My understanding is that the Prime Minister didn't receive a USB drive because I think they were a gift for delegates, not for leaders."

Asked if Downing Street staff were given the USBs, he said: "I believe they were part of the gifts for delegates."

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.