Information Security News mailing list archives

Army ponders proper shape, size of cyber workforce

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 06:37:54 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/398/3492533/Army-ponders-proper-shape-size-of-cyber-workforce-

By Jared Serbu
Federal News Radio
10/28/2013

As the Army builds up a force to operate in its newest warfighting domain -- cyber -- it's wrestling through a lot of tough questions. How big should the cyber force be? What's the right mix of soldiers, civilians and contractors? And how does DoD need to change its legacy personnel systems to bring the best possible talent on board?

The military as a whole is in the process of building 133 cyber mission teams with responsibilities for offensive cyber operations, defensive cyber operations and operating DoD's own networks. The Army will contribute 41 teams to that joint effort out of a cadre of soldiers it's building under the auspices of Army Cyber Command, which formally stood up just three years ago.

But Lt. Gen. Edward Cardon, Army Cyber Command's commander, said for now, it's impossible to tell whether that force is too big or too small.

"Let's get demonstrated capability out there, and then we're going to find out things we know and don't know and we can adapt our organizational structure," he said. "I'm arguing within the Army that the entire cyber force should be re-looked at about once every two years. I think we're on the inflection point of some pretty amazing technologies coming into the operational sphere. Just with cloud computing and the explosion of mobile devices, the rapid development on supervisory control and data acquisition systems. The impact of Mr. [Edward] Snowden and what's that done to our community in terms of the insider threat. When you start putting all these things together and you try and predict out a couple years from now what size force we need, I'm not sure you can do that. What I do know is we gotta get the best people possible."

Cardon said it's taken a few years to get the Army's initial set of cyber operators trained and ready, and he's comfortable with the service's current plans to build up its cyber force, which cover the time period up to 2017. But he said the Army needs to be willing to adapt those plans.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.