Information Security News mailing list archives

Cyber 'mass shooter' poses future threat to computer security, ex-intel official says

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 06:22:15 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/3/cyber-mass-shooter-poses-future-threat-computer-se/

By Shaun Waterman
The Washington Times
October 3, 2013

The fastest-growing cyber threat is from a kind of digital mass shooter, a deranged or outraged hacker able to obtain cyberweapons currently available only to nation-states and organized crime, a former senior U.S. intelligence official said Thursday.

“They’re just mad, they’re mad at the world,” said retired Air Force Gen. Michael Hayden. “They may have demands that you or I cannot understand.”

Mr. Hayden warned that within five years hackers “will acquire the [cyberattack] capabilities that we now associate with criminal gangs or nation states,” such as being able to conduct online sabotage of industrial control systems that run power plants, factories and utilities.

U.S. intelligence chiefs have fretted publicly about the vulnerability to such attacks on the nation’s industries, financial systems and communication networks, saying they could cause casualties and mass dislocation.

[...]
--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.