Information Security News mailing list archives

Canadians have 'naive belief' hackers won't target them: Trustwave

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 07:53:44 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/canadians-have-naive-belief-hackers-wont-target-them-trustwave/43991

By Candice So
itbusiness.ca
October 8th, 2013

Small businesses worried about their IT need to find better ways to guard their data -- especially as they present easy, unsecured targets, with hackers levelling their sights at them.

Contrary to what small to mid-sized businesses (SMBs) often believe, hackers often go for them since they're low-hanging fruit, said Christopher Pogue, director of SpiderLabs at Trustwave Holdings, an information security company based in Chicago.

And coupled with the fact many Canadians feel they're not a target for hackers, as opposed to the U.S., our more high-profile neighbour to the south, Canadian SMBs just aren't putting in their due diligence when it comes to protecting their data, he said.

"There's this naive belief that it's not going to happen to me... that we're Canadians, we're not targets. Yeah, you are," said Pogue in an interview at Sector 2013, a security conference held in downtown Toronto on Oct. 8.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.