Information Security News mailing list archives

Racing Post website in chaos after hackers raid database

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 06:48:22 +0000 (UTC)

http://news.techworld.com/security/3490854/racing-post-website-in-chaos-after-hackers-raid-database/

By John E Dunn
Techworld

British horse racing bible Racing Post has had to suspend member access to its website while it clears up the mess caused by a weekend breach of a customer database.

“The Racing Post apologises for the inconvenience and worry caused to our customers by a malicious attack on our systems,” the paper began its notification using the now familiar tone adopted by numerous other sites in the same situation.

The site hasn’t specified how many accounts holders have been affected, nor the number of users affected (the physical newspaper has a circulation of between 50,000 and 60,000), but described the attack as “sustained and aggressive.”

One database was breached while “we believe others were subject to similar attacks at the same time,” the notification said.

[...]
--
Dean Bushmiller teaches a great 5-Day CISM in Albany NY Dec. 2 – 6.
Call 327-937-9786 for details.