Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers Broke Into Syria's Secret Police Computers And Found... Porn

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 06:17:11 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasperhamill/2013/11/20/hackers-broke-into-syrias-secret-police-computers-and-found-porn/

By Jasper Hamill
Forbes.com
11/20/2013

An exiled Syrian hacker has claimed to have cracked the systems of the country’s brutal secret police to find evidence that intelligence officers spent their working days watching pornography.

The computer expert was a leading member of a youth wing of the Syrian opposition, and fled to Europe in fear of his life after several of his colleagues were arrested by the Mukhabarat, Syria’s feared intelligence agency. The Syrian conflict has become increasingly bloody this year, with a number of chemical weapons atrocities and vicious attacks on civilians. It has also featured many cyber assaults, such as the global actions of hacking groups like the Syrian Electronic Army.

Before leaving his home country last year, the Syrian hacktivist and his colleagues had been probing the systems used by spies to snoop on the population of Syria. They found not only found records of millions of online communications, but also details of hard-core pornography watched by the secret police, which is known for its sadism and brutality.

“It was easy to look at the secret police’s systems, which were left wide open to public view. The information they held was scary,” our Syrian source said. “But despite the amount of data kept on the Mukhabarat systems, the security was extremely lax and unsophisticated. We were able to observe the different pornographic habits of each of the agents’ bases, as well as records of the web traffic of much of the Syrian population. What we found was that agents would watch pornography whilst at work.”

[...]

--
Dean Bushmiller teaches a great 5-Day CISM in Albany NY Dec. 2 – 6.
Call 327-937-9786 for details.