Information Security News mailing list archives

Cupid Media Hack Exposed 42M Passwords

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 06:25:44 +0000 (UTC)

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/11/cupid-media-hack-exposed-42m-passwords/

By Brian Krebs
Krebs on Security
November 20, 2013

An intrusion at online dating service Cupid Media earlier this year exposed more than 42 million consumer records, including names, email addresses, unencrypted passwords and birthdays, according to information obtained by KrebsOnSecurity.

The data stolen from Southport, Australia-based niche dating service Cupid Media was found on the same server where hackers had amassed tens of millions of records stolen from Adobe, PR Newswire and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), among others.

The purloined database contains more than 42 million entries in the format shown in the redacted image below. I reached out to Cupid Media on Nov. 8. Six days later, I heard back from Andrew Bolton, the company’s managing director. Bolton said the information appears to be related to a breach that occurred in January 2013.

“In January we detected suspicious activity on our network and based upon the information that we had available at the time, we took what we believed to be appropriate actions to notify affected customers and reset passwords for a particular group of user accounts,” Bolton said. “We are currently in the process of double-checking that all affected accounts have had their passwords reset and have received an email notification.”

[...]
--
Dean Bushmiller teaches a great 5-Day CISM in Albany NY Dec. 2 – 6.
Call 327-937-9786 for details.