Information Security News mailing list archives

Cyber security expert Melissa Hathaway warns governments invest too little in protection from attacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 09:42:35 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-15/cyber-security-expert-warns-of-growing-threat/5093758

By Peter Ryan
Business Editor
ABC News
11/15/2013

A former cyber security advisor to President Barack Obama and George W Bush is warning computer hackers are becoming more sophisticated and pose an escalating threat to global security.

Melissa Hathaway, now an advisor to the technology giant Cisco, wants cyber security put on the agenda for the next G20 meeting as Australia prepares to take over as presidential chair.

Ms Hathaway is in Australia to launch the Cyber Readiness Index which examines how the world's top 35 countries are exposed to potential attacks on key infrastructure, such as transport and telecommunications systems.

AUDIO: Obama cyber chief wants hacking threat on G20 agenda (AM) Speaking in Canberra to AM, Ms Hathaway said she was concerned and surprised that given the threat, cyber security was not an agenda item on the G20 agenda.

"Because the G20 is all about the stability and sustainability of our societies, and much of that is dependent upon our ICT adoption and the internet," Ms Hathaway said.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.