Information Security News mailing list archives

Jeremy Hammond Pleads Guilty to Stratfor Hack

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 04:16:43 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/jeremy-hammond-pleads-guilty-to-stratfor-hack-20130528

By JOHN KNEFEL
Rolling Stone
MAY 28, 2013

Jeremy Hammond pleaded guilty today to the infamous Stratfor hack, as well as taking responsibility for eight additional hacks of law enforcement and defense contractor websites in 2011 and 2012. As a condition of the plea, the radical hacker will face a maximum of 10 years in federal prison, and restitution costs of up to $2.5 million. After Hammond entered his plea, his legal team framed his prosecution as part of the government's larger attempt to control the flow of information and punish those who seek to distribute it to journalists and the public.

"There's a war going on about corporate spying and access to information," said defense attorney Sarah Kunstler at a press conference immediately following the hearing. "Jeremy is someone who worked toward making information public."

In a statement posted online after the plea deal, Hammond echoed this point. "I did this because I believe people have a right to know what governments and corporations are doing behind closed doors," Hammond wrote. "I did what I believe is right."

Hammond entered his plea – admitting to one count of conspiracy to engage in computer hacking – in a federal courtroom in lower Manhattan, surrounded by observers and supporters. One of those in attendance was his twin brother, Jason, who had just flown in from Chicago. When Hammond initially addressed the judge, he raised his right hand to be sworn in, and clenched his fist in a symbol of defiance.

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org