Information Security News mailing list archives

Breach blues for British Columbia lab

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 05:45:15 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/breach-blues-british-columbia-lab

By Erin McCann
Associate Editor
Health IT News
June 26, 2013

Canadian-based LifeLabs Medical Laboratory Services has notified more than 16,000 patients in Kamloops, B.C., that their protected health information has been compromised after a computer hard drive containing patient data went missing.

According to a company notification, the computer hard drive contained patients' names, addresses, dates of birth, personal health numbers, genders, results of ECG tests and their referring physicians. Officials say the hard drive went missing in January and has been missing since. Following an internal investigation, the company has been unable to determine the whereabouts of the hard drive or exactly when the hard drive was removed.

Notification letters to 16,100 patients were mailed June 21, officials say. LifeLabs has also informed the B.C. Ministry of Health and the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.

“I am deeply sorry for the concerns or difficulties this situation creates for our patients, our employees, health professionals and the Kamloops community,” said Sue Paish, president and CEO of LifeLabs, in a June 24 press statement. “LifeLabs manages more than 50 million patient records a year. We understand the importance of personal information, and we know that the protection of personal information is extremely important to all of our patients.”

[...]

--
Visit the new and improved InfoSec News website
http://www.infosecnews.org/