Information Security News mailing list archives

Hackers hit Washington Post for second time in three years

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 08:49:04 +0000 (UTC)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57616069-83/hackers-hit-washington-post-for-second-time-in-three-years/

By Steven Musil
CNET News
December 18, 2013

The Washington Post's servers have been breached for the second time in three years, giving hackers access to employee usernames and passwords, the company revealed Wednesday.

Neither personal subscriber information nor the newspaper's publishing system were believed to have been accessed in the intrusion, which the company suspects originated in China because it began on a server used by the newspaper's foreign staff. The newspaper said there was strong evidence Chinese hackers were behind a 2011 hack of the newspaper's job-seeker data base, as well as recent months-long network breaches at The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal.

"This is an ongoing investigation, but we believe it was a few days at most," Post spokeswoman Kris Coratti told the newspaper.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
IT recruiting budget! Save 50 percent off our normal