Information Security News mailing list archives

Getting The Most Out Of A Security Red Team

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 06:54:21 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability/getting-the-most-out-of-a-security-red-t/240160471

By Ericka Chickowski
Dark Reading
August 27, 2013

When used effectively, a working red team doesn't just help IT security organizations find vulnerabilities in their environments. Red teams can also help organizations prove the need for increased budget in focused areas, substantiate claims of security improvements, and generally sharpen the skills of IT defenders called on to regularly defend against real-world attack simulations carried out by these in-house "bad guys."

"One of the best things I've done when starting new [security organizations] is starting a red team first," says John Walton, principal security manager at Microsoft, in charge of the Office 365 security engineering team, who uses red teams to test the efficacy of the service's security. "A red team will tend to justify additional resources. A red team can actually prove out why you need that additional investment, and can also help get the management aware of what the risks are specifically." According to Maranda Cigna, senior IT security manager at financial services firm FIS, her organization has similarly helped her counterparts in the network and technology teams justify head count and better tell the story of the true risks faced by their assets when they aren't properly manned. In her organization, the red teams focus their work within the data center.

"We've got pen testing, in general, happening against network devices and our Web applications, but I have a specific red team that just targets and attacks our data centers, and we're spinning through that on an annual basis," she says, explaining that beyond setting certain bounds around the data center, it is crucial to let the teams be creative in how they probe their targets. "We let them organically go through, see what they find, go down whatever rabbit holes that they want. When targeting a large data center, there's no way we could actually hit every single asset in there. But it’s a good depiction of how an attack against that data center would actually happen."

Whereas many external penetration tests can be gamed by organizations limiting the parameters in which the pen tester can operate or can simply be ineffective in thoroughly examining an environment, red teams frequently find more success. According to Scott Erven, manager of information security for Essentia Health, he believes internal red teams are more effective than penetration testing services.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.