Information Security News mailing list archives

Groklaw shuts down rather than risk feds snooping through e-mail

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 07:28:27 +0000 (UTC)

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/08/groklaw-shuts-down-rather-than-risk-feds-snooping-through-e-mail/

By Jon Brodkin
Ars Technica
Aug 20 2013

Groklaw, the 11-year-old website devoted to covering legal disputes related to open source software, has announced it will shut down rather than risk the government reading its e-mail.

Groklaw founder Pamela Jones (commonly known as "PJ") wrote today that she is not confident the government won't someday be able to crack her encrypted e-mails. "There is no way to do Groklaw without e-mail," she wrote. "So this is the last Groklaw article."

This is the second time Jones announced her intention to no longer publish Groklaw articles. On April 9, 2011, she said goodbye to readers because "the crisis SCO initiated over Linux is over, and Linux won. SCO as we knew it is no more." She quickly changed course, saying Groklaw would continue with a new editor; she then continued running the site herself.

This time, she pointed to comments made by the owner of Lavabit, an encrypted e-mail service that shut down rather than comply with government orders to hand over e-mails. "The owner of Lavabit tells us that he's stopped using e-mail and if we knew what he knew, we'd stop too," Jones wrote.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your
recruiting budget! Post a Job, $99 for 31 days.