Information Security News mailing list archives

DISA plans analytic cloud; looks to NSA's model

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 06:47:07 +0000 (UTC)

http://fcw.com/articles/2013/08/12/disa-nsa-cloud-model.aspx

By Amber Corrin
FCW.com
Aug 12, 2013

The Defense Information Systems Agency is moving ahead with plans for an analytical cloud environment focused on cybersecurity and cloud-based enterprise services for Defense Department agencies.

DISA plans to launch an analytic cloud, dubbed Acropolis, to provide situational awareness in cybersecurity, which will hinge on the use of big data to detect and respond to threats. The cloud will be used to aggregate, correlate, reduce and analyze cyber threats, including insider threats, according to documents from the agency's Aug. 9 industry day event at Fort Meade, Md.

The agency will take a cue from its neighbor, the National Security Agency, gathering and analyzing large amounts of data already coming in for network operations and defense.

"We moved up to Fort Meade for a reason. And part of that reason is to take advantage of the neighborhood. ... These guys know how to build analytic clouds down the street," said Mark Orndorff, DISA program executive officer for mission assurance and network operations, according to a FierceGovernmentIT report. "So, we're going to adopt those techniques, technology that NSA has leveraged and built over the years – maybe do some tweaking and adjustments to our specific requirements – but we certainly aren't going to start from scratch as we build out the analytic cloud."

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your budget!
Post a Job! $99 for 31 days