Information Security News mailing list archives

Whatever Happened to DDoS Phase 4?

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 08:21:13 +0000 (UTC)

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/whatever-happened-to-ddos-phase-4-a-5986

By Tracy Kitten
Bank Info Security
August 13, 2013

It has been three weeks since Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters declared "The break's over and it's now time to pay off," announcing Phase 4 of "Operation Ababil," the nearly year-long campaign of distributed-denial-of-service attacks on major U.S. banks (see DDoS: Attackers Announce Phase 4).

But it has been nearly two weeks since any DDoS activity could be attributed to this group. Which begs the question: Is Phase 4 over before it ever really began? DDoS experts offer varying theories about the recent inactivity.

"I believe that to a large extent, this particular set of attacks is over," says Rodney Joffe, senior technologist at DDoS-mitigation provider Neustar. "If attacks come back, I believe [they] will be a totally new initiative, perhaps by the same actors and perhaps using the same proxy."

Mike Smith, a security evangelist at cybersecurity firm Akamai, says it's hard to be certain why al-Qassam has been silent.

[...]

--
Find the best InfoSec talent without breaking your budget!
Post a Job! $99 for 31 days