Information Security News mailing list archives

On eve of attack, Israel preparing for the cyber-worst

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 02:49:56 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.timesofisrael.com/on-eve-of-attack-israel-preparing-for-the-cyber-worst/

By DAVID SHAMAH
The Times of Israel
April 5, 2013

Under the threat of what hackers swore would be “the largest Internet battle in the history of mankind,” Israel has been preparing for the past week for what many expect to be a massive attempt to swamp Israel’s Internet — bringing websites to a crawl, or even bringing them down.

he attack is set for Sunday, April 7 — coincidentally, or perhaps not, the eve of Holocaust Memorial Day in Israel. Computer system administrators and security experts have been shoring up network defenses, changing passwords, and ensuring that they have the Internet bandwidth to withstand an attack.

In their latest screed, the hackers behind the newest incarnation of #OpIsrael, the ongoing attempt to “wipe Israel off the map of the Internet,” appealed for unity in the hacker community, which needed to come together to attack Israel. “We can’t be consumed by our petty differences any more,” said the message, posted on hacker-friendly websites. “We will be united in our common interest. We will once again be fighting for freedom.” In a theatrical flourish (using a quote from the 1996 film “Independence Day,” which portrayed mankind fighting off a Martian invasion), the hackers state: “’We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on, we’re going to survive.”

While the attacks are aimed at government, bank, academic, and business websites (the hackers have published extensive lists of their targets), ordinary Israelis should take precautions as well — just in case, said the Israel Internet Association (ISOC), which is taking the threat so seriously that it will be operating a hotline (03-9700911) for people to report attacks, and will update its website throughout the day with status reports about what is going on in cyberspace.

[...]

Attend #HITB2013AMS April 8th - 11th in Amsterdam.
Featuring over 42 international speakers and keynotes
by Bob Lord and Edward Schwartz http://conference.hitb.org