Information Security News mailing list archives

WSI reassigns Y-12 security director after test questions found in patrol vehicle

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 04:15:16 -0500 (CDT)

http://oakridgetoday.com/2012/09/06/wsi-re-assigns-y-12-security-director-after-test-questions-found-in-patrol-vehicle/

By John Huotari
Oak Ridge Today
September 6, 2012

The new director of the protective force at the Y-12 National Security Complex has been reassigned after a federal inspector allegedly found papers in a patrol vehicle that included answers to a test scheduled to be given to guards as part of an investigation following an unprecedented July 28 security breach.

A U.S. Department of Energy official said the stack of papers found last week also included a copy of a test designed to quiz a random sample of a few dozen guards on policies and procedures, as well as a “post check” interview sheet. The “post checks” question security officers on procedures and performance tests, such as deploying gas masks. The papers were not supposed to be shared, said the DOE official, speaking on background.

“That’s clearly something that we’ve never seen before,” said Bill Eckroade, principal deputy chief for mission support operations in DOE’s Office of Health, Safety and Security, or HSS. “It gave us great concern.

“They were in a place that was unexpected and undesirable. They may have been used inappropriately.”

[...]
--
#HITB2012KUL - The 10TH ANNUAL HITB Security Conference in Malaysia
with no keynotes, no labs - just three tracks filled with our most