Information Security News mailing list archives

Regions Bank Confirms Online Outage

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 07:38:58 -0500 (CDT)

http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/regions-bank-confirms-online-outage-a-5189

By Tracy Kitten
Bank Info Security
October 11, 2012

Regions Financial Corp. on Oct. 11 confirmed its online banking and corporate websites were suffering intermittent outages related to an Internet service disruption.

The Regions site outages were expected, based on distributed denial of service attack threats posted Oct. 8 on Pastebin by the hacktivist group Izz ad-Din al-Qassam. Regions is the eighth U.S. bank to take an online hit in the last four weeks.

"We are experiencing an Internet service disruption that is intermittently impacting our customers' ability to access our website or use our online banking service," Regions spokeswoman Evelyn Mitchell told BankInfoSecurity. "We are working quickly to resolve this issue and regret any inconvenience customers may be experiencing."

According to Is It Down Right Now, an outage-tracking site, Regions was suffering sporadic outages throughout the morning and early afternoon of Oct. 11. Down For Everyone Not Just Me, another tracking site, also confirmed the outages. But as of early afternoon, no outages for Regions had yet been reported to the online-outage-tracking site Sitedown.

[...]

--
Get your CEH, CISSP or ISSMP with ExpandingSecurity.com Live OnLine classes that will not wreck your schedule.
Come to a free class and see how good our program really is. Free weekly PainPill: