Information Security News mailing list archives

City settles data breach case for $392K; combined settlements surpass $1M

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 02:50:27 -0600 (CST)

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/176986441.html

By Eric Roper
StarTribune.com
November 2, 2012

A former cop who sued a number of Minnesota cities for breaches of her drivers license data has now garnered more than $1 million in settlements, following Minneapolis' approval of a $392,500 payout Friday.

The City Council approved the settlement related to Anne Rasmusson's lawsuit following their meeting Friday morning. It comes on the heels of similar settlements from St. Paul and local cities, leaving only the state's public safety commissioners (current and former) as major defendants in the suit.

City attorney Susan Segal said they weighed the potential costs of moving forward with the suit, which would have included staff time, police time and the risk of paying attorney's fees. Federal statutes also outline minimum damages of about $2,500 per unauthorized lookup.

"We knew that there was quite a range of potential risk in this case," Segal said. "So we decided that the settlement was well within that range and was the wisest course to follow."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org