Information Security News mailing list archives

Employees Engage in Rogue Cloud Use Regardless of Security Policies

From: InfoSec News <alerts () infosecnews org>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 00:40:53 -0600 (CST)

http://www.cio.com/article/721480/Employees_Engage_in_Rogue_Cloud_Use_Regardless_of_Security_Policies?taxonomyId=3089

By Thor Olavsrud
CIO.com
November 13, 2012

Employees are increasingly turning to the cloud to get their work done, whether IT has a policy about cloud use or not, according to research studies by Symantec and cloud backup provider Symform.

"I don't think IT realizes how much the way we live life as individuals has completely permeated the enterprise," says Margaret Dawson, vice president of product management at Symform. "This is happening whether you want it to or not."

In a survey of about 500 companies across a range of industries and sizes, Symform found that nearly 20 percent of businesses have no clear security policies or standards around employee or departmental use of cloud. Of the 39 percent of IT organizations that say they are not using the cloud, 65 percent said they allow employees or teams to use cloud services and 35 percent allow employees to put company data in cloud applications.

"This research validates how cloud applications and services are being purchased and managed increasingly by non-IT departments and illustrates the need for IT to reclaim control from a policy and governance standpoint while still enabling the business to benefit from the cloud's agility and cost effectiveness," Dawson says. "I always advise IT leaders to be the centralized source of all IT policy, vendor criteria, compliance management and the definition of 'trust' for their organizations. Cloud usage is inevitable, but loss of control is not."

[...]

Visit the InfoSec News Security Bookstore
Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org